Milan, 7 June 2021 - With four macro-areas of intervention and eight primary objectives for 2025, each supported by specific areas of activity and projects, the Maire Tecnimont Group is launching its sustainability strategy, inspired by the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals and developed through a concept of innovation that is not only technological, but also economic and social in nature. With this strategy Maire Tecnimont intends to position itself as enabler of the energy transition worldwide, focusing on people and their well-being, as well as on the communities of the geographies in which the Group operates.
The macro areas of intervention, with a transversal role of Governance are:
- climate, circular economy and the environment
- people and diversity
- creation of value for territories and communities
- innovation that brings well-being
The macro-goals in the environmental area are to contribute to sustainable mobility by developing technologies for low carbon and 'bio' fuels; to enable the circularity of plastics through high quality mechanical and chemical recycling technologies and to develop solutions to produce bio-plastics; to develop technologies for the transition to a hydrogen economy and for a more sustainable use of gas. This will be achieved through NextChem's portfolio of energy transition technologies in the areas Greening the brown, Circular economy and Green green. With regard to the Group's emissions, the carbon neutrality target for direct (scope 1) and indirect (scope 2) emissions is 2030, with the target extended to 2050 for value chain emissions.
In the areas of social innovation, the priority goals are to ensure the health and safety of our people through ongoing training and empowerment; to promote an increasingly multicultural and inclusive environment; to create value in the territories where we operate; to promote open innovation and digitalization.
“We began our journey ten years ago by joining United Nations Global Compact. Today, we have fully integrated a number of ESG indicators (environmental, social and governance) into our industrial strategy. We can, and want to, take on the role of enablers of the global energy transition by putting our knowledge of the transformation processes of natural resources at the service of an increasingly circular and low-carbon economy” commented Pierroberto Folgiero, CEO of Maire Tecnimont Group. “Through our Open Innovation approach, we can accelerate this journey towards improving the quality of life. People are at the heart of our strategy: our colleagues, the professionals in our supply chain, the communities that live in the areas where we have offices and sites. This is also the direction the help that we are bringing to India to address the crisis triggered by the peak of the pandemic is going in”.
The Sustainability strategy of the Group, from this year to be known as ESG Identity - IGI COMPANY 2021 ETicaNews, is outlined in its own specific section of the site (https://www.mairetecnimont.com/en/our-strategy), in the 2020 Creating Value Sustainability Report (https://mairetecnimont.com/en/sustainability/sustainability-report) and in the summary document. The hightlights of 2020 are:
- More than 30 ongoing industrial projects employing energy transition technologies around the world, with a growing portfolio of technologies thanks to a variety of partnership agreements; more than 10 projects under study in Italy for the creation of Circular Green Districts; more than 10 international research projects for the energy transition;
- The extension of the reporting scope to include indirect Scope 3 emissions, with the aim of defining a plan for the gradual reduction of emissions and the offset of those that cannot be reduced;
- The securing of SA8000 certification on a multi-geographic level, the first Italian Group and the first company worldwide in the technology, engineering and construction sectors of the energy industry to obtain such a certification;
- The signing of the Women's Empowerment Principles (WEPs) promoted by Global Compact;
- The launch of the ESG qualification program for all new suppliers including social and environmental criteria and governance;
- The provision of over 1.27 million hours of training to the Group's employees and subcontractors with an average of 27 hours of training per employee with a particular focus this year on cyber security;
- The consolidation of a multi-year In-Country Value plan; 53% of purchases related to current projects were made locally during the year and approximately 88% of new hires in the new geographies came from the local labor market;
- Excellent HSE performance with a zero LTIR (Lost Time Injury Rate) index;
- Over 1,700 total patents and 81 projects of innovation, with the adoption of an Open Innovation model involving universities, start-ups and local partners;
- Improved ratings with a score of "A" in the MSCI index and "A-" in the CDP Supplier Engagement Leader rating.
Maire Tecnimont S.p.A.
Maire Tecnimont S.p.A., listed on the Milan Stock Exchange, is the head of an industrial group leader in the global natural resource conversion market (downstream oil & gas plant engineering, with technological and executive expertise). Its subsidiary NextChem operates in the field of green chemicals and technologies in support of the energy transition. The Maire Tecnimont Group operates in approximately 45 countries, with around 50 operative companies and close to 9,000 people. For further information: www.mairetecnimont.com.
Group Media Relations
Carlo Nicolais, Tommaso Verani
Tel +39 026313 7603